Looking for the biggest bang for your vacation buck? Your next vacation to Davidson, NC can be filled with adventure and fun without breaking the bank. Here are 5 affordable things to do near Charlotte, NC for you and your family without sacrificing your adventure experience!
1. Drive-In Movies
The drive-in movie theater experience is making a come back. Enjoy your favorite flicks from the comfort and safety of your own vehicle.
- Pop Up Movies in Old Town Cornelius – See new films or family-friendly classics at two different Cornelius locations.
- Hound’s Drive-In – this permanent Drive-in is located about 50 minutes from Davidson. Tickets include a double feature and they are also hosting concerts. Check out their upcoming schedule.
2. Art Galleries
Browse some of these galleries, just 25 minutes from Charlotte, NC, that showcase local artisan talent.
- Katherine and Tom Belk Visual Art Center – Located on Davidson College’s campus, this art center hosts two galleries that showcase the work of both students and visiting artists.
- Studio Elie – This inspirational gallery showcases the work of local artist, Elie Bou Zeidan, and is open to the public. They also offer art classes and a group Sip & Sketch event.
- Wooden Stone Gallery – Like its namesake, Wooden Stone showcases handmade glass, wood and stone sculptures, pottery, metal work, and more.
Visiting a museum is a fun, interesting, and affordable thing to do near Charlotte, NC. Plenty of museums are offering virtual tours during this time, but nothing beats visiting in person. The Davidson, NC area is home to many types of museums but is known for auto speed racing, and most nobly, its gratitude to America’s veterans.
- Welcome Home Veterans Living Military Museum – This living military museum is located at Richards Coffee Shop, but don’t get the idea that it’s just a couple of photos on a wall. Welcome Home displays photos, stories, memorabilia, and artifacts of our service members and emergency service workers. Free coffee for vets.
- NC Auto Racing Walk of Fame – This museum is dedicated to North Carolina racing history and showcases the best of NASCAR and NC motorsports. This non-profit museum operates on donations.
4. Parks and Recreation
North Carolina is known for some of the best outdoor recreation around. For free or a small entrance fee, you can hike and bike to your heart’s content.
- Fisher Farm – This 200-acre park is a lovely place to walk and enjoy wildlife, insects, and plant life. Plus, with four miles of trails, this natural area is ideal for mountain biking enthusiasts.
- North Mecklenburg Park – Featuring 98 acres, North Mecklenburg offers trails for hiking and biking, playgrounds for kids, tennis, and basketball, and is a great place for picnics (they even have a grill).
- Blythe Landing Park at Lake Norman – Have your own water vessel? This county park features a launch for just $8.00 per vessel and the Dockside Cafe where you can grab a bite. Check out their sand volleyball courts too for some fun in the sun.
- Lake Davidson Nature Preserve – For a peaceful, nature lover’s experience, launch your canoe or kayak on the lake or take a hike along the Sterling Martin Trail.
5. Swimming Holes
What could be more fun, and affordable, than taking a hike in the woods only to be rewarded with a majestic deep pool for swimming or a beautiful natural waterfall? North Carolina is home to some of these beautiful natural wonders. Be sure to wear your swimsuit and get ready to jump in and enjoy!
- Hunt Fish Falls at Wilson Creek – You have to hike less than a mile to see this stunning waterfall and reach the base of the Blue Ridge Escarpment where you can hop in to cool off.
- Lake Norman – Davidson’s grand lake provides two access points for swimming: Ramsey Creek Park and Lake Norman State Park.
There are plenty of affordable things to do near Charlotte, NC, right here in Davidson. And Davidson Village Inn is an ideal getaway for couples and families. Enjoy our comfortable and spacious guest rooms with a delicious continental breakfast and local fresh brewed Summit coffee delivered right to your door each morning.