South Main Street in Downtown Davidson NC is a beautiful historic region rich with turn-of-the-century architecture, the Davidson College campus and, of course, the historic Davidson Village Inn. This is a small town with the benefit of being located close to the teeming metropolitan city of Charlotte. The big-city influence means that downtown Davidson’s economic makeup feels more akin to its metro surroundings than it does a quaint small town. With numerous farm-to-table restaurants and little boutiques serving locals, visitors and students alike, this charming college town offers more than one might expect to find.
Here are 5 shops worth checking out on your next stay in downtown Davidson NC:
- Whether you’re a bookworm or not, Main Street Books is always worth a trip. This classic small town bookstore is a refreshing departure from the big box bookstores we are accustom to. Its great collection of new and used literature of every genre is fun to browse. They are well known for their friendly and knowledgeable staff. You can find Main Street Books at 126 South Main Street.
- The South Main Sweet Shop is a gem in Downtown Davidson NC, offering visitors not only their beautiful selection of handcrafted artisan chocolates, but also a nostalgic collection of retro candies that will transport you back in time to your youth. They also have the classic candy shop bins of by-the-pound treats to round out this dream-come-true of a candy shop.
- For anyone that loves the art of old things, there is Whistling Swan, which carries antiques, reproductions, and folk art. This charming little shop is not only full of beautiful pieces but is also the perfect compliment to this New England-style downtown area. The restored pieces are crafted by the most skilled local artisans who ensure that each piece maintains its unique beauty and outstanding quality.
- If you’re the kind of person who can’t have enough pairs of shoes, then you definitely want to check out Downtown Davidson’s premier shoe shop, Charlotte Shoe Company. This is a locally founded regional chain whose mission is to deliver comfortable and stylish footwear to women whose inhibitions melt away when they see a beautiful pair of shoes comfortable enough to walk in.
- The charming Needlecraft Center is a favorite place for anyone seeking the finest yarns and needlepoint supplies. This store stocks top quality products and creates a wonderful community around needlecraft hobbies and projects. Aside from selling supplies they also sell finished products of clothing, accessories and art. This is a fun place to check out even if you don’t know a thing about knitting or needlepoint as you can explore these intricate crafts and their world-sourced supplies.
Whether you’re traveling for work or taking a nice family vacation to enjoy Lake Norman, it’s always a pleasure to have good shopping options around. You’ll find no shortage of that here in Downtown Davidson NC. Our highly recommended bed and breakfast is centrally located downtown, allowing guests to explore all of the above shops by foot or pedicab.