9 of the Best Things to Do in Davidson, NC, and Lake Norman
“The Town of Davidson is committed to preserving the small-town appeal of Davidson by presenting community events and supporting historic preservation with economic development to keep the downtown district prosperous and vital.”
There are always plenty of attractions to see and things to do in Davidson, NC, and nearby Lake Norman. Whether you’re traveling here for the first time or live nearby and frequently visit, be sure to check out our Davidson, NC Travel Guide. It’s full of tips on upcoming festivals, outdoor recreation, local shopping, and restaurants you should try. The best part is that it’s free!
- 1 Your Essential Guide to Things to Do in Davidson, NC, and Lake Norman
- 1.1 1. Explore Downtown Davidson
- 1.2 2. Check out the Events and Campus of Davidson College
- 1.3 3. Spend an Afternoon at Lake Norman
- 1.4 4. Dine at Nearby Restaurants
- 1.5 5. Browse Local Shops
- 1.6 6. Catch a Professional Sports Game
- 1.7 7. Enjoy Arts, Entertainment, and Museums
- 1.8 8. Attend Exciting Annual Festivals & Events
- 2 9. Stay at Davidson Village Inn to Experience It All!
Your Essential Guide to Things to Do in Davidson, NC, and Lake Norman
1. Explore Downtown Davidson
Experience southern charm and a small-town feel. For delicious restaurants and wonderful shopping in Davidson, NC, look no further than our vibrant downtown area. With a multitude of shops, wide sidewalks, a community library, and flowers everywhere, exploring downtown is a great way to spend an afternoon. We are also home to the Davidson Farmers Market, which is open every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. If you have a chance, catch a performance by the Davidson Community Players, our local theater group! Check out some of these popular spots downtown:
- Tour De Food
- Village Store
- Davidson Community Players Theater
- Davidson Farmer’s Market (not to be missed*) Click here for a Farmer’s Market video.
- Spirited Cyclist Bike Rentals
2. Check out the Events and Campus of Davidson College
Since its establishment in 1837, Davidson College is consistently regarded as one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country. Check out some of the fabulous speakers, culture, and art events happening on campus, or go on a tour of the Davidson College campus. Their beautiful, sprawling campus is right near our Inn! You can also spectate their Division I sports teams play an impressive array of competitors from across the country. We even offer free tickets to see their popular football team!
- Learn About Davidson College
- Tour the Campus
- Attend Davidson College Events
- Spectate Davidson Wildcats Football
- Learn About Davidson College Arts Programs
3. Spend an Afternoon at Lake Norman
At 34 miles long with 520 miles of shoreline, Lake Norman is the largest man-made lake in the Carolinas. Enjoy a variety of activities including boating, kayaking, cycle boating, water skiing, wakeboarding, rowing, fishing, sailing, and more! The opportunities are endless! Lake Norman is the centerpiece to a fantastic vacation in the Davidson area. We even offer exclusive discounts to help get you out on the water.
- Lake Norman Activities
- Family Vacations
- Carolina Paddle Water Sports
- Jet Ski Rentals
- Boat Rentals
- Boating on Lake Norman
- History of Lake Norman
4. Dine at Nearby Restaurants
When hunger strikes, you’re in the right place. Davidson is home to so many excellent restaurants and eateries. All of these spots are conveniently within walking distance of Davidson Village Inn! Remember to take advantage of our Davidson Dining Special during your stay with us, too. It’s a fantastic add-on if you’re looking to enjoy a meal at some of the best restaurants in Davidson, NC. Consider grabbing a table at some of these spots:
- Kindred – Stylish, chef-driven hotspot with sidewalk seating, showcasing unique takes on American classics.
- Hello, Sailor – A new restaurant by Lake Norman from the owners of Kindred. Grabbing a meal here is one of the best things to do in Cornelius, NC, near us.
- Il Bosco – Quaint, authentic Italian dining with a patio offering seasonal Italian dishes & unique wines, plus desserts & espresso.
- Flatiron – Eclectic New American fare with local sourcing, including wood-smoked meats, plus a beer emphasis.
- Brickhouse – A refurbished cotton mill turned sleek, bustling sports bar with American eats & a fantastic beer list.
- Mestizo – Contemporary Mexican Cuisine.
- Soda Shop – Affordable family dining and ice cream in a historical setting.
- Mandolino’s – Artisan Pizza.
- Davidson Ice House – Set in a historical structure built in 1922, this family-owned business is the place to go for healthy, flexitarian food.
- Summit Coffee – Are you looking for a great cup of coffee or want to check out fun open mic nights? You can find it here.
5. Browse Local Shops
In the mood to shop till you drop? You can find plenty of shops and boutiques nearby, whether you need a gift for a friend or something for yourself. Check out some of these spots on your search for the perfect items:
6. Catch a Professional Sports Game
While our college sports offer an incredible level of excitement for spectators, you can enjoy professional sports here, too! We are close enough for you to easily enjoy all of the things to do in Charlotte, NC. Grab tickets to watch professional football, basketball, and baseball. The thrill you can experience at one of these games is unmatched!
7. Enjoy Arts, Entertainment, and Museums
We are proud to be home to talented artists, musicians, dancers, and more. During your stay in Davidson, you can watch breathtaking theatrical performances, view remarkable paintings, and browse fascinating artifacts at museums. Don’t forget to take advantage of our Davidson Theater Experience special when you see a show!
- Davidson Community Players
- Davidson College Theatre
- Blumenthal Performing Arts Center
- Bechtler Museum of Modern Art
- Charlotte Ballet
- Charlotte Symphony
- Discovery Place
- The Charlotte Museum of History
8. Attend Exciting Annual Festivals & Events
We don’t want you to miss out on some of our must-see local events and festivals on the Davidson Community Calendar. In addition to sightseeing, the Town of Davidson has a dynamic schedule of events including concerts, open-air markets, fairs, and festivals. You can also check out the Events Guide provided by DavidsonNews.net for a list of some upcoming local events in Davidson, NC. Be sure to plan your trip accordingly if you’d like to attend these:
- April is For Arts | Davidson | April
- Rural Hill Scottish Festival and Loch Norman Highland Games | Huntersville | April
- Concerts on the Green | Davidson | May – September
- North Carolina Brewers and Music Festival | Huntersville | May
- Rural Hill Sheepdog Trials and Dog Festival | Huntersville | November
- Carolina Renaissance Festival | Huntersville | October – November
- Christmas in Davidson | Davidson | December
- Amazing Maize | Huntersville | September – November
9. Stay at Davidson Village Inn to Experience It All!
Do you want some expert advice? Our staff knows all the best places to see in the area. Whether you’re looking to plan the perfect weekend, vacation, or a spectacular getaway to celebrate a special occasion, we’re here to help! Download your free Travel Guide to the area, or feel free to contact us now!
Have you decided on a trip to Davidson? If so, we encourage you to book a stay with us at Davidson Village Inn. Our top-rated hotel has 18 rooms in five different types for every traveler. Whether you are on a family vacation or flying solo on a business trip, we have an excellent guest room to exceed your expectations!
Once you visit us once, you will want to keep coming back again and again. Check our availability, book your stay, and start your unforgettable Davidson experience!