The Charlotte metropolitan area is full of great towns on the shores of Lake Norman – North Carolina’s largest man-made body of water. Just twelve miles north of the city and bordering Davidson, is Huntersville, NC. Having expanded from its original roots as a small milling town into one of the state’s largest municipalities, there are now a variety of appealing things to do in Huntersville, NC that will satisfy the whole family. Named for a Revolutionary War hero, Huntersville has numerous historic sites as well as modern attractions including some of the best shopping in the region.
Here are some of the best things to do in Huntersville, NC:
- Joe Gibbs Racing is not just a mechanics shop where race cars are built from the ground up, but is home to a NASCAR museum , driver displays and trophies. Through the viewing window overlooking the shop you can see the pit crew working out and fixing cars. Don’t miss the gift shop on your way out where you can purchase NASCAR memorabilia.
- Rural Hill is a historic site, nature preserve, and working farm in a serene country landscape where visitors can enjoy some peace and quiet. Go experience the fascinating educational programs and learn about history, science, and creative thinking, or just take a hike on one of the many nature trails.
- Birkdale Village is a shopping and residential district in Huntersville inspired by the design of a coastal New England town. With a mix of great stores like GAP and Dick’s Sporting Goods, and delicious restaurants like Fox & House, this urban setting is unique in the Charlotte metropolitan area.
- The Carolina Raptor Center is devoted to the conservation of raptor species and offers many educational programs giving visitors some insight into the lives of these birds. Stop in to see a Birds of Prey Flight Show or Vulture Feeding. The first full weekend of each month offers a behind-the-scenes tour on which you’ll get to see the rehabilitation hospital and other sights not generally open to the public.
- Discovery Place Kids is an extraordinary experience for your little ones. Devoted to science education, Discovery Place creates memorable moments in which children, through hands-on activities, learn the fundamentals while having a great time.
- Latta Plantation is a old cotton plantation that began in the year 1800, and is now a living history farm and nature preserve. There are guided and self-guided tours available, on which you can learn about farming methods, as well as what life was like on the farm. The plantation also hosts numerous annual events like the upcoming Celtic Festival taking place on March 14th and 15th.
If you’re planning a trip to Davidson Village Inn to enjoy this beautiful region then consider checking out some of these wonderful things to do Huntersville, NC, which is located just fifteen minutes from the Inn. After a hearty breakfast courtesy of your hosts, head out exploring. Take a walk along Lake Norman on your way south to Huntersville and enjoy the region’s natural beauty as well as its rich history.