While you’re visiting Davidson, NC, make sure you stop by the Carolina Raptor Center. As one of the only places in the southeast to home and rehabilitate many species of raptors, this is one remarkable sight you cannot miss.
About the Carolina Raptor Center
Focused on conservation through education, research, and rehabilitation, the Carolina Raptor Center is doing amazing things for birds of prey. Their mission is as follows “Carolina Raptor Center is dedicated to environmental stewardship and the conservation of birds of prey, through education, research, and the rehabilitation of injured and orphaned raptors.” The Carolina Raptor Center, CRC for short, hosts approximately 40,000 students each year in their environmental education program as well as 35,000 visitors to their Raptor Trail.
10 Facts About the Carolina Raptor Center
- The Carolina Raptor Center is a 57-acre living museum.
- There are over 23 species of raptors on the ¾-mile Raptor Trail including eagles, owls, falcons, hawks, and vultures.
- They home both exotic and native species of raptors.
- Carolina Raptor Center is one of the only places in the Southeast that rehabilitates and exhibits the American Bald Eagle, which you can view through the Carolina Raptor Center eagle cam.
- There are over 700 injured and orphaned raptors that are brought to the raptor hospital.
- Nearly 75% of raptors who live longer than 24 hours are rehabilitated and released into the wild.
- The resident raptors have different jobs such as education ambassador, flight expert, and display team.
- Carolina Raptor Center homes a mated couple of American Bald Eagles named Savannah and Derek.
- Savannah and Derek have been laying and hatching eggs for the past five years while four of their offspring have been released into the wild.
- The Carolina Raptor Center is located in Latta Plantation Nature Preserve.
Carolina Raptor Center Programs
The Carolina Raptor Center offers a multitude of programs to teach visitors about the birds of prey they are so passionate about. Depending on your schedule and what you are looking forward to seeing, there is a program out there for everyone.
Meet the Raptor
On Saturdays at 11:00 am and Sundays at 2:00 pm, meet your favorite raptors. Docent volunteers wearing gloves present 2 or 3 species while telling visitors about their natural history.
On Saturdays at 12:30 pm, view the vultures feeding. This smart species will play with its food before eating, making an entertaining show for everyone.
Behind the Scenes Tours
During the first full weekend of each month, on Saturdays at 2 pm and Sundays at 12:30 pm, you can tour the education trail and raptor hospital. Enjoy these special sights not open for all guests to see.
Plan Your Trip
Whether you come for the American Bald Eagles or the vulture feeding, Carolina Raptor Center will fascinate you with the majestic birds of prey they home. Plan a trip to see these amazing sights and book a stay with us here at the Davidson Village Inn. There are so many fun things to do in our area and you can learn more by downloading our free Vacation Guide. Davidson Village Inn is located just 15 miles north of the Carolina Raptor Center, making your commute short! We look forward to your stay with us and can’t wait to hear about your adventures with the raptors!
Photo credit: O Palsson / Flickr