Fall in North Carolina is a lovely time of year. As the summer heat passes away, the cool autumn breezes give us more reason to break out some of our favorite layers and head outside for that crisp fresh air to enjoy the changing colors. There are a number of great North Carolina fall festivals that happen throughout these pleasant and temperate months that draw many visitors to the area. Whether you’re interested in the arts, exploring the outdoors or are wanting to hear some new music or participate in a historical festival, fall in North Carolina is the perfect place to be – especially around the Charlotte Metropolitan area!
6 Reasons to Experience Fall in North Carolina
- North Carolina Fall Foliage – Central North Carolina, also known as Piedmont, is a great place to catch some of those vibrant and earthy fall colors that come when the seasons change. The Davidson area, on the shores of Lake Norman, is a particularly pleasant place to witness this annual change. The Lake Norman State Park is one of the many places where you can take a hike or bike along the lake and take in its changing forests. If you’re planning to come during fall in North Carolina, check out the foliage report to be sure you’ll catch it at its peak!
- 13th Annual Art of Sound Weekend Concert Series – This festival hosted in Shelby, NC, less than an hour west of Charlotte, is a truly homegrown weekend concert series showcasing great local acts. The music is of the earth with artists playing bluegrass, country, jazz and old time, and festival goers can expect spontaneous and inspired jam sessions at Art of Sound on September 17th through 19th.
- Festival in the Park – This downtown Charlotte festival has been taking place since 1964, bringing art, music, and fun to the city. Held in Freedom Park on the lake, its wonderful big band entertainment, Camelot exhibit tents and great activities for the children attract crowds each year. This year’s Festival in the Park will take place September 25th through the 27th.
- Rowan County Fair – This wonderful annual event will be taking place at the Rowan County Fairgrounds September 25th through October 3rd, and is full of great rides, games, food and exhibits to be enjoyed by the whole family!
- Carolina Renaissance Festival & Artisan Marketplace – Held every Saturday and Sunday from October 3rd through November 22nd, the Carolina Renaissance Festival is tons of fun during fall in North Carolina. With great shows, activities, and beautiful handcrafted gifts for sale, come see what life during the Renaissance was like.
- Greater Charlotte Fine Art Festival – If you are a genuine art lover, stop by Birkdale Village October 25th through 26th and take a walk through this amazing outdoor art gallery to see beautiful collection pieces.
Fall in North Carolina is a wonderful time of year statewide, and especially around the Davidson area. If you are looking for other fun things to do in the area download this free vacation guide.